Burma Action Ireland AGM
The Burma Action Ireland AGM will be held on Thursday 9th July, 2015, at Loreto Hall, 77, St Stephen’s Green, Dublin, at 6.30pm.
There will be an update on the current situation in Burma as well as discussion of the programme of activities of Burma Action Ireland.
All are welcome to attend.
Take action: Rohingya refugees
Please write to the UN Secretary General, Mr. Ban Ki-Moon at email@example.com asking him to personally take the lead in negotiating access for humanitarian aid to all areas in Burma’s Rakhine State. A draft email is outlined.
There is a growing humanitarian and human rights crisis in Arakan State, with over 140,000 Rohingya people displaced.
- World Refugee Day: Burma Gov. and International Community Must Respect Voices & Rights of Refugees
- 56 Solidarity Groups Call for Immediate End to Offensives & Provision of Humanitarian Aid to IDPs
- International investigation needed into human rights violations against Burma’s Rohingya
- ASEAN, international community must prioritise Rohingya women and children in crisis
- International NGOS Urge Ban Ki-Moon to negotiate aid access to Rakhine State, Myanmar (Burma)
Please take action to help free Htin Lin Oo.
Htin Lin Oo is a writer and a former Information Officer for the National League for Democracy (NLD). On 23rd October 2014, during a speech at a literary event in Northern Burma he criticised the use of Buddhism to promote discrimination and prejudice in the country. A part of his speech was uploaded on social media, which caused outrage among some Buddhist groups. He was sentenced to two years with hard labour
after township officials filed a complaint against him. He was charged under Section 295(a) of “insulting religion” and under Section 298 of “wounding religious feelings”.
31 Mar 2014
The current newsletter highlights the problems surrounding the census underway in Burma and the ‘epidemic’ of landgrabbing.